Pepe's is a local Mexican food chain with a shop in Alhambra, just a little past Sixth St. on Valley. They also have stores in Covina and Temple City. They're known by some for their hard tacos (or Americanized tacos by purveyors of authenticity) which I have to say are pretty good.
They fry the shells fresh so they're still warm and a little bit greasy. For $1.50 you get a small but stuffed taco with unmarinated shredded beef, fresh, crisp lettuce, tomatoes, and a blend of cheddar and monterey jack cheese. They have a red hot sauce which you'll probably want to use since the taco, while great on texture and freshness of ingredients, could use a little more bite or just plain salt on account of the unmarinated beef.
I took a bite so you could see inside... it's a bit difficult to get the perfect bite of all the ingredients, but it's well worth the effort.
They gave us a big cup of salsa upon request but as I pointed out to my friend, there wasn't any room to put it in the taco. We tried to stuff the salsa in as best we could, sometimes balancing the salsa on top to get the right flavor.
Pepe's Finest Mexican Food
511 W. Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA 91803
Sunday - Thursday
9am - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday
9am - 10:30pm
Closed Major Holidays
- ► 2014 (1290)
- ► 2013 (1210)
- ► 2012 (999)
- ► 2011 (582)
- ► 2010 (614)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Review: El Pollo Loco - Queso Crunch Burrito
- News: Baskin Robbin's - 31 Cent Scoop Night on Apr...
- News: Ben & Jerry's - Free Cone Day on April 29, 2...
- Review: McDonald's - Vanilla Iced Coffee
- Review: Ten Ren - Beef Stew Noodle and Eight Treas...
- Review: El Pollo Loco - Flame-Grilled Chicken
- Review: Arby's - Southern Style Chicken Sandwich
- Homemade Recipe: Potatoes That Taste Better Than T...
- Review: Pepe's - Shredded Beef Hard Taco - Alhambr...
- Local Review: Huong Que Cafe - Pho Ga and Chao Ga ...
- Local Review: Vietnam House - Bun Thit Nuong Cha G...
- Review: Peach House - Frozen Yogurt and Brazilian ...
- ▼ Apr 2008 (12)