Let's start with the items that are pretty much untouchable. These are pretty much the signature items at McDonald's and as much a part of the brand as the golden arches:
- Fries - perhaps the best fast food fries anywhere.
- Big Mac
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese
- Cheeseburger - along with the Hamburger, the original McDonald's burgers.
- Chicken McNuggets
Next are the solid role players of the menu. They're not quite iconic but there would definitely be a void if any of them got the boot:
- Baked Pies
- Cones, Shakes, and Sundaes
- Premium Chicken Sandwiches
- Filet-O-Fish - arguably a signature item but not nearly as popular as the others except around Lent.
- McRib - honorable mention since it's a limited-time item that's only available at some locations and only some of the time.
- Salads - a menu necessity at this point.
- McDouble and Double Cheeseburger
- Breakfast - McDonald's pretty much owns breakfast over most competitors; I don't see them getting rid of anything here.
- McCafe menu
- McWraps - I don't think they'll get rid of these though; they're pretty good and deliver a one-two punch of greens and portability. They could pare down the selection by one however.
- Snack Wraps - maybe they should just get rid of these and sell half portions of McWraps instead. I would not miss the Mac Snack Wrap.
- McChicken and McDouble variants - they introduced a lot of these with the Dollar Menu & More expansion, and I can see them scaling back for simplicity's sake.
- Quarter Pounder variants - these filled in the gap after the Angus Third Pounders were discontinued, but they're a little to similar to each other. Maybe they'll get rid of one.
- Cinnamon Melts - Some customers don't even know they exist.
- Cookies - I like these but who knows?
- Clubhouse Sandwich and Burger - I don't think they get rid of these; they do make the Quarter Pounder variants a little redundant though.
There you have it. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the value sandwich- and Quarter Pounder-variants getting axed. There might be 8 items just from those alone.