They've also put out commemorative birthday cans for both Original and Meatball flavors.
The cake portion actually contains the tomato sauce from the SpaghettiOs, while the pasta find itself part of a strawberry topping. Here's the recipe, in case you want to try your hand at making it:
SpaghettiOs Velvet Cupcake Recipe - Yield: 24 Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup SpaghettiOs Sauce (strained)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Red Food Color
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Egg Whites
- 2 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 lbs (!) Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
*Or substitute with your favorite frosting
STRAWBERRY SPAGHETTIOS TOPPING:
- 1 lb Fresh Strawberries (hulled)
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 SpaghettiOs Pasta
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
2. Open two cans of SpaghettiOs and strain out the pasta reserving the liquid. Keep the pasta for the strawberry topping.
3. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, SpaghettiOs sauce, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined and smooth batter is formed.
5. Using an ice cream scoop (or piping bag), divide the cake batter evenly into the cupcake papers.
6. Place the pans on a middle oven rack and bake for 15 minutes or until a cake tester (or toothpick) inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pans halfway through.
7. Remove the pans from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool completely on a cooling rack.
1. Place egg whites in a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
2. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil. As the mixture is boiling, use a pastry brush and water to wipe down the sides of the pot to make sure all sugar crystals have been dissolved. Place a candy thermometer in the syrup and cook until the temperature reaches 230˚F. At that point, turn the heat off and remove the thermometer.
3. Begin whisking the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Slowly stream the hot sugar syrup into the foaming egg whites. Once the syrup has been poured into the egg whites, place the mixer on high speed and whisk until cooled to room temperature.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to medium low and start adding the softened butter one stick at a time being sure the butter is fully incorporated before adding the next stick. Also, be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy.
5. Store in the refrigerator until mixture has slightly stiffened before using. May be stored refrigerated for up to 3 days.
1. Place the fresh strawberries into a food processor and process until smooth.
2. Then strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve to remove all the seeds and pulp.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water and set aside.
4. Place the strawberry puree, sugar and pasta into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
5. Once the mixture reaches a boil, stir in the cornstarch slurry and boil for 1 minute or until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat.
6. Pour the mixture into a bowl and place into the refrigerator to cool to at least room temperature before using. May be stored refrigerated for up to 3 days.
FINISHING THE CUPCAKE:
1. Place the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a round pastry tip. Starting at the perimeter of the cupcake, pipe a spiral of frosting. Then, using a small offset spatula, create a “bowl” in the center of the frosting making sure not to expose any of the cake. Remove the strawberry filling from the refrigerator. Place a small amount of filling in each frosting “bowl”. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Place the finished cupcakes into the refrigerator until ready to serve.